MUDr. Martin Doleček, Ph.D., primář OUP, KARIM FN Brno a LF MU
Students are introduced to the interactive presentation of CPR Basic Life Support algorithm, lay resuscitation without medical equipment (unless you count the automated external defibrillator and protective equipment of the rescuer). According to this algorithm must proceed each professional lifeguard off duty, if he or she gets into the role of witness of sudden cardiac arrest (SCA) and has no equipment. The situation of the patient with SCA is obviously very critical. Rescuer will definitely be in a large mental tension especially when the SCA occurs in a family member. If student perfectly manage this simple but very efficient algorithm how to deal with CPR, the chance of survival of the patient dramatically increases plus there is a chance of good recovery without significant neurologic deficits. The student must always keep in mind that during CPR procedure he or she should strictly act according to the algorithm ABCD and everything has its time. Between the main principles of CPR - BLS include the following:
1. Minimalize time between emergence of SCA and initiation of CPR.
2. Provide early defibrillation (EMS call, bringing AED).
3. Minimize interruptions of external chest compressions (max. 5 s, plan every step in advance)
4. If you have doubts about the presence of SCA, immediately initiate CPR (better to proceed CPR in patient with retained spontaneous circulation than do nothing in case of SCA).
5. Perform CPR until the arrival of EMS, restoration of spontaneous circulation (restoration of regular breathing and / or spontaneous movement of patient and / or return of consciousness), complete exhaustion of rescuer.
Keywords: BLS, consciousness, gasping, AED, CPR
inserted: 20. 12. 2011 | last modified on: 10. 3. 2019